Tea tree oil in dogs

Skin and soft tissue infections increasingly caused by highly drug-resistant bacteria, along with various concerns about antibiotic use, have led to a desire to find non-antibiotic approaches to treatment of these infections. Tea tree oil has some potent antibacterial properties when tested in the lab, and there are some studies indicating it might be effective for the treatment of certain infections. Some work that we've done in my lab shows promising activity of a few different essential oils against MRSP.  Some of these oil may be similarly useful treatments for certain infections. 

However, as I've stated before, we need to make sure that we adequately investigate safety of any new drug or therapy. All natural does not mean safer. If something kills bacteria, we need to make sure that it doesn't also harm an animal's cells and tissues.

Tea tree oil can cause damage to skin and soft tissue cells, but it's unclear whether this is really a problem during short courses of treatment. Nonetheless, in humans it has been recommended that tea tree oil not be used for treatment of burns because of concerns about tissue damage.(Faoagali et al, Burns 1997)

Another concern is toxicity from ingestion. This isn't usually a concern in adults, but there are a couple reports of children that became seriously ill (neurological abnormalities, progressive unresponsiveness... fortunately temporary) after ingestion of small volumes of tea tree oil. This leads me to have concerns about ingestion of the oil by dogs and cats if they lick areas where it has been applied, or eat bandages soaked in oil. They probably wouldn't ingest that much, but it's possible.

At this point, the jury is still out on the usefulness of tea tree oil. There are some potentially beneficial aspects and some safety issues that need to be clarified. In the interim, if you want to use tea tree oil:

  • Recognize it's not a proven therapy. Don't use it in place of conventional treatment recommended by your vet.
  • Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Be judicious about the amount you use, and make sure pets don't lick it off.
  • If the infected site seems to get worse after tea tree oil is used, stop applying it and see your veterinarian.
Trackbacks (0) Links to blogs that reference this article Trackback URL
http://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/admin/trackback/152046
Comments (2) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Csilla Bick - December 6, 2009 9:23 PM

Approximately 8 hours after applying tea tree oil on the dogs hot spots he developed tremors, appeared to be disoriented and vomited approximately 20 times the next 24 hours. The dog completely recovered. Since he spends most of his time indoors and has been on the same diet the only explanation for these symptoms is the tea tree oil which he licked from the skin or was absorbed from the skin. Csilla Bick

michelle - November 19, 2010 8:19 AM

I have used tea tree oil on my budgie which ultimately killed him. Since using it, I have researched the problems of using tea tree oil on any pet and it is strongly advised against doing so. Many cat and dog have been very ill and died by ingesting tea tree oil. The bird didn't digest it,it was absorbed through the skin and died a horrible death. I would not recommend it even in small doses. The risks are too great, and if it goes wrong it is heartbreaking to watch and live with. Michelle

Post A Comment / Question Use this form to add a comment to this entry.







Remember personal info?
Send To A Friend Use this form to send this entry to a friend via email.