This one’s not very surprising since it’s the typical fake service dog scam, but it made me laugh. While on a completely unrelated website, I saw an ad on the page that said something like "Trouble walking on the beach with your service dog? Check us out." Unfortunately, I did.
The website sells the typical "service dog" paraphernalia – at a pretty high price. To start off, the site takes you through a series of questions.
1) Do you currently have a physical impairment?
2) Do you currently have a mental impairment?
- No (although my kids might have a different opinion on that one).
3) Do you have a record of a physical impairment or mental illness in the past that substantially limits one or more of your major life activities?
4) Are you regarded as having a physical impairment of mental impairment in the past that substantially limits one or more of your major life activities?
- "No, you probably do not quality"
So far, so good. That’s the right answer.
But… (I love the rest…)
"However, this is a self-assessment and reasonable minds can come to different conclusions. You may wish to take our Disability Self-Assessment Test again. Alternatively, you may wish to visit our Products page and see whether it nonetheless may be helpful to you."
In other words, try again and make up a fake answer, or just go ahead and give us money for something like the $200 "Deluxe [fake] Service Animal ID Kit".